Our Vision is a future where we waste less, share more and care for every child.
Our mission is to rehome pre-loved nursery goods to support Victorian families in need while saving the earth’s precious resources.
We collect, sort and redistribute essential nursery equipment, clothing, books and toys for babies and school age children.
For each other. For the earth. For ourselves.
We live and thrive in a community who shares and supports each other.
We are transparent in our work and strive for excellence in everything we do.
Our Theory of Change
At Geelong Mums, we exist to make sure children and families are happy, healthy and safe.
This is possible when families can provide their children the best possible foundation in life.
To achieve this, families need to be able to meet the material needs of their children. Geelong Mums can help alleviate the burden on families when this is not possible.
Families often look to their support networks for assistance in providing their children the best possible start. Many are supported by their relatives and social networks, but for others, they may be more reliant on government and welfare supports.
Support networks that are well-resourced and able to identify the unmet needs of families are best placed to assist families to raise happy, healthy children. Through Geelong Mums’ network of social workers, and maternal health workers, we are able to identify those who need a little extra support in the form of material aid and we provide the resources to help families when they need it most.
This also has the benefit of building better relationships between support workers and the families they help, enabling their assistance and care to have a deeper impact.
Donations from families who no longer need their baby goods are transformed by our incredible volunteers, enabling us to recycle and rehome quality nursery items, prams, cots, clothing, car seats and essentials for families. We are committed to making sure that families who need support are treated with respect and dignity, no matter their circumstances.
Our Guiding Principles
• We will work with and support existing social services and maternal health workers;
• We will not duplicate the work of these existing social services but endeavour to add value to these services;
• We will ensure that the criteria for recipient eligibility is determined by social service agencies and not by Geelong Mums;
• We will ensure that all goods donated are of a good quality, in working condition, and adhere to the appropriate Australian safety standards (ie. we would use the goods ourselves);
• We give everything as a gift with no expectation of return;
• We seek to save the earth's precious resources by rehoming, recycling, reusing and repurposing as much as possible;
• We will work with partners and supporters who share our values and goals.
Our Strategic Goals
Please see this summary of our strategic goals for 2018 - 2020.